Dec 18, 2005

Beautiful Kyoto

I went to visit Kyoto for sightseeing the other day. I used to live in Kyoto and been to most of the tourist places (parks, temples, downtown..) but I wasn't bored at all. Kyoto is the most traditional Japanese city where there's many temples, old houses, geisha so many forigners love it there, but it is also a place where Japanese want to visit once in a while just to feel the atmosphere and relax. Walking in the Japanese garden, seeing the temples and discovering the history... I don't know how to explain but just feels GOOD.
I took many pics and will share some of them so that you can get the image of Kyoto.



Banboo path to the temple / at night time



Arashiyama



saw a wedding held at / Seki-tei ; sand garden
the temple. Bride in white kimono.



Kabuki theatre / real Maiko (Geisha)



Huge Budha!!

Speaking of Geisha, I saw "Memories of Geisha" or in Japanese title "Sayuri". It was amazing!! Ziyi Zhang's dance in Kimono was so beautiful and gorgous. Took my breath when she was dancing on the stage in the snow. All the jp actress, acters were good especially Ken Watanabe (of course!). He was in a huge dept a while a go but now he's a hollywood star and got married recently. Must be happy.
In this movie, JP and English were mixed. Most conversations are done in English but sometimes they speak Japanese. I felt a little wired listening to that. I learned about Geisha too. They are not same as prostitute. "Geisha is a moving art."

7 comments:

Ed Meers said...

AWESOME pictures!

Anonymous said...

ooooh it does seem like a very scenic place Mayu! I can't wait for the time to come when we can visit you there!

Anonymous said...

sweetheart, you've been tagged! Check out my blog to see what I mean!

I know you're busy but this is in case you want some entertainment! ^-^

Astriiluu said...

Mayu, Happy New Year!!

Anonymous said...

Sup Mayu I watched Memories of Geisha also and I must say the word that describes the movie is perfection. The things you had to consider even before being accepted to train as a Geisha was amazing to watch. I agree that dance scene was astounding espcially when they showed a close up of her eyes.

The whole movie was art and gave me a better understanding of Geisha and what they had to do in order to thrive as a whole. Pretty sad though because they went into it not being able to choose their own path in life but thats the way it was in those days.

I never got a chance to go to Kyoto the last time I was there but I will be sure to go there in april when we go. Nice pics


Setsuna

フイジュン said...

hello im a friend of Astri's and I am currently majoring in Japanese Studies in National UNiversity of SIngapore.. Saw ur pics- they are beautiful! The first one of a road of bamboo seemed to have appeared in Memoirs of a Geisha right? The movie will start screening tomorrow, i cant wait!

☆Mayu☆  said...

Hae, thanks for your comment:) how's life in Singapore? been there once just to transfer my plane. haha.
the movie's starting tomorrow? hope you'll enjoy!