Dec 3, 2006

How to be a good speaker/ communicator

1. Think of the listener's situation. Their age, sex, personality, status and most importantly, what they want to know.

2. Think of the purpose of the communication.
ex. social communication: greetings and conversation
inform communication: explanation and report
persuade communication: persuation and advice

3. Take everything possitive. don't respond negative.

4. 60% of the impression towards oneself comes from the speaking attitude and facial expression. How you stand, eye contacts, hand, feet, clothes, and ones habit.

5. Before you do a speach, stop, look at the whole audience, take a breath and speak clearly.

6. Getting nervous is a good thing. It means you are highly motivated to speak. Use that nervousness as a chance.

7. Good speaker/communicator is a good listener.

8. Prepare enough for the speech.

9. Observe the listener well.

10. 3 basics principles:plain, simple, and be effective.

11. Tell the outline first, be specific by telling examples, use the words that the audience can understand, see the reaction.

12. Speak in order: overall and parts, comparison, priority, cause and effect, time order.

13. How to report smoothly:
Result first, don't forget the mid report, speedy, memos, 5W2H, fact first then opinion.

14. Ending/conclusion: summerise, your will, or problem solving.

15. Use the conjunction.

16. Never deny the others. Agree or sympathize first then explain or give advise.
" Yes,.... but..."

17. Be humorous and creative.

18. For complaints say "thank you (for your imformation)" first. Sympathize and answer clearly.

19. People learn from mistakes. If it didn't go well, think possitive and be better next time.

20. "Why" "How" is important. Always question yourself and practice to think and speak.


These are from a book I read today in the hot bath tub. I know these are very basic things but I wrote it just to tell myself once again what I need to remember. Recently I've been having trouble explaining and reporting things at work. I have things that I want to explain but I don't know what's the most effective ways to tell them my opinion. Speaking logically is difficult...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, this looks indeed like a wise list.
For presentations in front of senior management, what does help me are just a few things though:
- how would I like a subordinate to make that presentation to me. I imagine that I don't know much about the problem and I imagine that my subordinate is making the presentation. Natural questions will come.. Even better, ask somebody else to present it to you.
- Know your stuff in details. Know your numbers. Know the numbers behind the numbers. Presentation is good, but we are doing business. Some a getting tired of the "powerpoint guy" whose presentation is like watching a Holiwood movie.. but you get nothing useful out of this guy
- What is the key message in every slide. If you bundle all the key messages together, are they consistent?
- be **very** carefull with humour. However, energy, positive attitude and open smile do work well enough.
- Value add, value add, value add. See the big picture, understand the strategy, but know the details..

Senior Management will rarely pay attention to presentation skills (unless major humour blunder for instance), but they will **always** pay attention to how much added value they get from investing their time with you :)

The few above work well enough for regular business presentations (internal & to customers). For Public Relation purpose, or for real official speech I guess more detail is needed as expressed in your book..

Gosh, I start sounding like my boss now.. -___-

P.
** a french living in Singapore**

Personal Blog:http://devrouze.blogspot.com/

Serious blog: http://angmoh-chronicles.blogspot.com/

☆Mayu☆  said...

p.
your comment sounds like a real business man, useful info. thanks!

hey, I have a question for you. I read your blog and on the topic of living abroad(preparation), you said you have to have the return ticket to enter the country. Do you really need to have this? Cause I'm thinking to travel around Asia someday and don't know where and how long I will stay. which means I don't know when and where I'm gonna leave the country and go back to Japan. In that case, I can't buy the ticket. should I just buy both-way ticket and throw the return ticket away?
or what if you want to travel to the next country by train? in this case you don't have the ticket you usually buy when you arrive in the country. I am confused...:(

Anonymous said...

Mmmh, good question.
I remember my immigration in the US specifically requesting for the return ticket.
When my brother came to live for 9 months with us in Singapore, Singapore immigration requested for one as well, even though he had already a letter of "in principle approval" ready and a financial guarantor..
My wife coming to stay "long term" in Singapore (before we were married): same story.
However, for regular tourism trips (up to 90 days usually), there is no issue, the first time round. In other terms, the first time you stay 90 days, it is fine. If you leave the country after the 90 days and come back a week later, then some countries (HK for instance) might start to ask questions.
To cut the story short, if you stay up to the period allowed by your tourist visa (30 or 90 days), no problem. If you intend to stay longer than that then prepare well.
Hope it helps!

Last comment though. Traveling around Asia (or the world) might be the most touching, most extraordinary experience that you'll have in your life. If you have the chance to be free to travel and have a bit of money for it, then definitely go for it! This might be the base ofthe stories you'll tell your grandkids later.. :)

P.

JH said...

Hi, your English is very good!Could you tell me which book you read this in?
Thanks,
JH
Iwate, Japan

☆Mayu☆  said...

jh,

thank you for visiting!
well, this is from japanese book called "Hanashino dekiruhito, dekinaihito(話のできる人 できない人)" I don't have the book so I don't remember the auther. Sorry:(

Anonymous said...

hi have u copied form other site?
i saw same on other blog

☆Mayu☆  said...

hi,
no. I translated a Japanese book into English which I told you in the former comment.
I'd never and never will copy somebody else's blog.